Thursday, August 5, 2021

20 Back To School Book Recommendations

                                            Image by Kidaha via Pixabay
 

It’s taken me over two decades, (yes, I know I’m dating myself), but I’ve compiled a list of my absolute favorite Back-to-School Read Alouds.

Every September, I eagerly pull them off the bookshelf and read them to my new students.

Some titles focus on a classroom procedure or a social skill I want the children to learn; others are just plain fun.


                                    Image by OpenClipart-vectors via Pixabay

A high-quality picture book has certain characteristics that set it apart from others.

Picture books comprise certain essential elements: characters, plot, language, and pictures.

The author’s approach to each element can make or break a story.

The 20 books I’ve compiled achieve the high standards I expect for my classroom library.

(For further reading about Picture Book Elements, please click here.)



 


Back To School Book List:

1. David Goes to School By David Shannon

2. A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue By Julia Cook

3. My Mouth Is a Volcano By Julia Cook

4. Decibella By Julia Cook

5. I Just Don’t Like the Sound of No By Julia Cook



                                              Image by asi24 via Pixabay


6. Chrysanthemum By Kevin Henkes

7. The Kissing Hand By Audrey Penn

8. If You Take a Mouse to School By Laura Nemeroff

9. Back- to-School Rules By Laurie Friedman

10. The Name Jar By Yangsook Choi



                         Image by Kidaha via Pixabay


11. How Full Is Your Bucket? By Tom Rath

12. Llama Llama Misses Mama By Anna Dewdney

13. Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready For Kindergarten By Joseph Slate

14. A Letter from Your Teacher: On The First Day Of School By Shannon Olsen

15. This School Year Will Be the Best By Kay Winters



                               Image by Please Don't Sell My Artwork AS IS via Pixabay


16. Interrupting Chicken David Ezra Stein

17. You Get What You Get By Julie Gassman

18. Hands Are Not or Hitting By Martine Agassi

19. Words Are Not for Hurting By Elizabeth Verdick

20. Voices Are Not for Yelling By Elizabeth Verdick

 What Back-to-School books do you read to your class? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment