Saturday, June 26, 2021

Extended School Year Fun

 



I've never taught Summer School!

I'm a tad nervous. I mean what kid likes Summer School? When I was a child, just considering the idea brought on chills of horror.



I subscribed to the tenet all students believe, Summer Break must not be trifled with. You know the mantra, “No more pencils! No more books! No more teacher’s dirty looks!”

With this refrain in mind, I'm writing lesson plans and trying to pepper in extra doses of fun.




If all accords to my master plan, here's what we’ll be doing in my Summer School Classroom:

*Desk Pets: Obviously! They're so darn cute and the kiddos love them!! FYI: Desk Pets are 3-D erasers.

Teacher Marissa Begay introduced them on Tik-Tok and they’ve taken the world by storm.

*Random Volleyball: Every so often we'll take a minute (or two or three) to pass around a beach ball.

*Pool Noodle Drumming: In addition to Desk Pets, this is another terrific and entertaining thing I discovered this school year!


                                            Image by Ashley Ladroma via Pixabay

Pool noodle drumming uses pool noodles to drum on the desks while dancing to music. (As per the photograph above, there are many clever ways to use foam noodles.)

Virtual students can drum on a table at home and use pencils or whatever else they can find that’s gentle on the furniture. (With parental permission, of course.)

I must send a shout out to #KentHamilton who makes Cardio Desk Drumming videos on YouTube. Best thing ever!!

If you're searching for something super-duper fun to do with your kiddos, I highly recommend checking out his channel.

*Teachers Pay Teachers resources: I’ve been hunting for engaging curriculum related worksheets for the children to complete.

*Scouring Pinterest and adding loads of neato ideas to my Summer Time board. Oh my gosh, there are so many!!


                                                 Image courtesy of Canva.com

I’d love to hear your Summer School Fun suggestions. Please comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment