Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Read Across America Reading List


                                         Photo by Katerina Kuchereno via Pixabay

Read Across America Day 2021 is almost here!

In years past, educators spent the day celebrating Dr. Seuss’ birthday and reading his books.

When I taught, it was one of the most anticipated times of the school year. It introduced a month-long author study of Dr. Seuss that included book related art activities, snacks, and literacy lessons.



                                      Photo by Wokingham Libraries via Pixabay

Because of Dr. Seuss’ racist roots, many teachers are scouting for alternative books to read to their students.

There’s a vast market of children’s books to choose from, but one facet that’s generally forgotten is self-published authors.

In my modest opinion, self-published authors are an untapped resource full of rich educational opportunities. Many have supplemental resources for their books and welcome classroom visit invitations.



                                              Photo by christ Poe via Pixabay

Self-published aka Indie Authors authors are an enthusiastic bunch of writers who adore children’s literature as much as schoolteachers.

How do I know this? Well, I’m a former Pre-K Head Start/Kindergarten teacher who reads, writes, and reviews picture books.

I’m friendly with many self-published children’s authors who are passionate about their work.

Here’s a list of my award-winning books (Yes, I’m shamelessly plugging my books because I believe in them.) along with those I’ve read or reviewed specifically with educators in mind.

I seek out Indie Books that will improve classroom libraries and lesson plans.


Reading List And Links:

The Kamyla Chung Series & Teddy Bear Tea By Ellwyn Autumn

FREE Educational Resources on Teachers Pay Teachers

The Bella and Mia Adventure Series By Amelia Griggs

Let’s Meet On The Moon & Places We Have Never Been By Lauren Ranalli

I Wish I Was A Brownie & Snack Attack By Marsha Casper Cook

The Mr. Inker Series & Special Memory By Christina Francine

Fairy-Tailed Wish By Megan Pighetti

I Can Do Hard Things and Listening To My Body By Gabi Garcia

The Orphan: A Cinderella Story From Greece By Anthony Manna

The Freckle Fairy & The Belly Button Fairy By Bobbie Hinman

I’m A Messterpiece By Lauren Eresman

Children Are Like Cupcakes & It Is Okay To Cry By Ansaba Gavor

If you have any books to add to the list, please comment below.

If you’d like to connect with some of these authors, please join my Facebook group for authors and educators, Lemon Drop Learning. 

Happy Read Across America Day!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I would want to thank you for including such useful and insightful information in your writings. institute of ecumenical education admission form closing date .

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
    Mitzvah Offer a Best Air Curtains price in India. We are working 22+ years in this field. We are the largest air curtain Dealer in India

    ReplyDelete