Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Diary of a First Year Kindergarten Teacher: 16th Entry


https://unsplash.com/photos/K3uOmmlQmOo?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=credit CopyText

Monday, September 23
Dear Diary,

Needless to say it was a long weekend. I spent most of my time lesson planning on good touch, bad touch. I also emailed the school nurse.

I was hoping she'd be able to speak to my students about personal safety, but due to her limited schedule, she just doesn't have the time.
            
When I came to work today there was a notice of a two-day suspension for Tyrone Whiting in my mailbox.

I wasn't able to speak with Ms. Temple, the disciplinarian, or Mrs. Bernard to find out what the next step is for Tyrone because they were in meetings all day.

To my surprise, Katie Thomas was present today. I guess her parents were unable to have her moved to my grade partner's classroom because she arrived in my line this morning.

Katie's stepmother offered me a kind smile and simply asked to be notified if Katie had any trouble. Thankfully, there wasn't any for Katie; some of my other students weren't as fortunate.
            
There were a couple of fights during snack time involving my usual heavy hitters: Devon Wilson, Brandon White,  Christopher Matthews, and Rafael Cruz.
           
I know it's only the very beginning of the school year but some of my students just aren't comprehending the classroom behavioral expectations.
         
How do you deal with difficult behaviors in your classroom?
           

No comments:

Post a Comment