Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Interview With Pre-K Head Start Teacher Shanna Padams


https://unsplash.com/photos/O1TNdLNvJLM?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText
           
In March of this year, I had the opportunity to visit Ms. Shanna Padams's Pre-K Head Start classroom at Henry C. Lea Elementary School in Philadelphia, PA.




 At first glance Lea Elementary appears to be a tired, old building, but upon closer inspection, colorful student artwork draws your eye and posters with positive messages remind you of the hope a public education can bring.
            
After being buzzed into the school, I went straight to the main office, where the secretary, who asked for my name, was expecting me.

I was asked to sign in and then a polite young man from third grade guided me through the maze-like halls to Ms. Padams's classroom.
            
During our brief trek, I was pleasantly surprised to learn, that while the building's interior needed updating, Lea Elementary is able to offer its students music and drama classes.

Due to a lack of proper funding and overcrowded class-sizes, many art programs across the district have met the chopping block.


Addhttps://pixabay.com/en/cartoon-doodle-sketch-kids-people-1082114/ caption

I arrived at Ms. Padams's classroom and found it neatly arranged with educational learning centers and child-sized tables and chairs.
            
Like any properly managed Pre-K Head Start class, her students knew the classroom expectations and were well on their way to developing the soft skills required for Kindergarten, that many children lack upon entering.

Soft skills are intrapersonal abilities like sitting on the carpet during a read-aloud and raising a quiet hand to ask a question.     



https://pixabay.com/en/playschool-children-human-kids-151938/

Head Start, founded in 1965, is a free program for three and four-year-olds, whose family meets the financial criteria established by the federal government.

Through various services like early learning, health, and family well-being, the program helps the child participant and their family. 
           
In 2013, The School District of Philadelphia cut its Head Start program in half. Since then many children have been enrolled in educational programs that don't have the same rigorous curriculum and accountability for its teachers that Philadelphia does.
            
As a former Pre-K Head Start and Kindergarten teacher, I can say with confidence that children who attend a high-quality Head Start program are better prepared for the social and academic challenges of Kindergarten.
            
Those with special needs have a smoother transition into Kindergarten. In most cases, their Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) have been established, which allows for support services to better continue when they leave the Pre-K Head Start Program. 
            
Ms. Padams was kind enough to answer a few questions about her teaching experiences and to offer advice for aspiring educators. 


Add chttps://unsplash.com/photos/80VTQEkRh1c?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyTextaption

1. Why did you become a teacher?

When I was in third grade, my family moved from Pennsylvania to New Jersey.

My new school assessed me and decided to put me in a mid-level reading group, even though I tested higher. With all of the other changes going on, they didn’t want school to be too hard for me.
             
From the beginning, my fourth grade teacher, Mr., Moore, knew I could do more. He believed in me from day one. He challenged me in the best ways possible.

He taught me not to settle, that I could do anything I put my mind to. Most importantly, he gave me the confidence and sense of self-worth I needed to succeed.
             
Ever since meeting Mr. Moore, I knew I wanted to be a teacher like him.  I wanted to help other students believe in themselves and their ability to succeed.
     

2. What grade do you teach?        

Pre-K since January 2005
    

3. What is your favorite thing about teaching?

I love how students grow and change, especially when I am able to teach them for two years.  It is amazing to see how much progress they make.
    

4. What is your least favorite thing about teaching?

 Paperwork. It is never ending, especially when it comes to recording anecdotes and lesson planning.
    

5. Do you have any advice for teachers just starting their careers?

 Ask questions. It’s okay to ask for help. Managing a classroom is very challenging. Ask co-workers and supervisors for ideas. Check on Pinterest and other educational websites for ideas.
    

6. How has the lack of funding in public schools affected you and your students?

I believe the biggest impact is on the conditions in our buildings. Our building is over 100 years old. The roof leaks every time it rains. There are holes in the celling in the hallway from the rain.  

The pipes leak, too. The toilets don’t work properly.  Also, our custodial staff is always short-handed, so bathrooms and other areas are not cleaned properly.
    

7. In light of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, are you concerned about security in your school?

Yes. We finally have one full-time school police officer. We have some cameras in the school. Though I am not sure where they are located. 

A staff member usually supervises the front desk near the main entrance and guests need to sign in and show ID.
            
However, we have no metal detectors in the school, so anyone can walk in with a weapon or other harmful items.
    

8. How do you feel about teachers carrying guns to school?

I am not comfortable with that idea at all. 
    

9. Why not?

I do not have the proper training to do so, and have no desire to use a gun, especially around children in a school.
    

10. If you could ask politicians to do one thing to help students in our country, what would it be?

Invest in our schools. Provide the funds to help us hire adequate numbers of school police officers, NTAs (to monitor hallways, etc.), school counselors, and psychologists.
    
I would like to thank Ms. Padams for her time and insight. I hope this interview helps people understand the challenges public school teachers and their students face everyday.

In order to change the state of public education in our country, we must listen to those people on the frontlines, the teachers.    

No comments:

Post a Comment