Friday, January 26, 2018

Diary Of A First Year Kindergarten Teacher: 7th Entry



https://unsplash.com/photos/JPHPdqZrB3I?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

Thursday, September 4

Dear Diary,

I spent the entire morning in meetings. First we met as a staff and then we broke down into smaller groups to discuss best instruction practices for our age groups. 

Will I ever get a full day to do parent interviews?
       
After that, I got a prep and lunch, which is about an hour-and-a-half total. 

During that time, I conducted two interviews. I learned shortly after from Mrs. Staltz, that she disapproved of my meetings.

She doesn't want to do parent meetings on her lunch break. If I do them during this time slot and she doesn't, it sets a bad precedent. Parents will complain. 

Really?
            
I really miss Head Start. I could do interviews whenever I wanted. Of course there were other issues, but that is another story.
            
The afternoon was as exciting as the morning, more and more meetings. 

Mrs. Bernard took us on a tour of the school to discuss student traffic, during middle school class changes. 

I've never worked in a main school building with middle school kids. I hope they don't run over the kindergartners.
            
Mrs. Bernard also went over the standardized tests scores from last school year, and how we can improve as a school this year. 

There was a power point with flow charts, pie charts, and bar graphs explaining student achievement and the next steps to help students achieve higher.
            
I kept thinking about all the parents I could have been meeting with, and the lessons I could have been preparing for the first day of school. 

Flow charts are not going to help me get any of that done.
            
Tomorrow I'll have the entire day to conduct my parent meetings. I have ten parents scheduled. Let's hope all ten show up.

1 comment: