Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Diary Of A First Year Kindergarten Teacher: 4th Entry





Thursday, August 27

Dear Diary,

Despite all of my protesting, I went to work today. I know. I know. I should have stayed home and sucked up my last bit of summer vacation, but I'm glad I went. 

I got the boards decorated; I hung the center signs, and filled up the centers with most of their supplies.

I've decided on the following learning centers:
* library
* writing center
* dramatic play
* math center
* science center
* puzzles/manipulatives
* sensory center
* block center

After 13 years of teaching Pre-K Head Start and a little shopping this year, I have more than enough supplies for students to play with in learning centers. 

I've also outlined the learning directives for play in these centers.
       
Overall, students will develop their interpersonal language skills while learning to negotiate, compromise, share, and problem solve. 

This will in turn foster growth in reading, writing and verbal communication. Most of all, they will have fun while their learning! 
            
I didn't get out of the building until 6:00 but I accomplished enough that I WILL stay home tomorrow. 

A nice four-day weekend before my official start date sounds wonderful. On Tuesday I should have a partial class list to begin scheduling parent interviews.
            
On a side note, my grade partner Mrs. Staltz, doesn't seem too keen on collaborating with me. 

I don't know if it's because I said that I like to teach thematically or not. She and the previous K teacher lesson planned together every week.

I'm disappointed. Part of the reason I was excited to start at Adams Elementary was due to the collaboration between grade partners. 

I love to exchange ideas with other teachers and learn new things. Oh well, maybe she'll change her mind.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the input. I hope to show people what teachers go through during a typical school day.

    ReplyDelete