Friday, December 1, 2017

Diary Of A First Year Kindergarten Teacher: 2nd Entry

 

https://pixabay.com/en/book-pen-notebook-business-desk-2652174/


This is a fiction story about an inner-city school teacher's experiences. As a former public school teacher, I feel it's important for people to know what teachers and students go through on a daily basis.

Here is my interpretation:


Tuesday, August 25

Dear Diary,

What a day! I spent the morning sorting all of the leveled reading books I discovered yesterday. It took four hours!

It was a real hassle but as I worked I familiarized myself with the books and their sequential progression. 

Since I've never taught a guided reading lesson before, I thought it was important for me to do this. 

I also found a teacher reference manual on guided reading that I'll read later at home.

There's one good thing about having all of these books, I shouldn't have to hunt down easy readers for guided reading.

I've made a list of things I need to do after I leave today and when I arrive tomorrow:

*buy my own classroom broom, dust pan, and brush (I borrowed my grade partners and the school doesn't have any extra on hand to give me. Typical.)

*buy a radio (An early childhood classroom must have music. I like to play classical music when the children arrive and quiet music to help them settle down. Little people need to move their bodies and I have the best CDs for that.)

*find more chairs for students (there are 30 students in a Kindergarten class and I only have 24 chairs)

*set up the furniture in the classroom

*organize my file cabinet (I peeked inside it today. What a mess!)

*find a large trashcan

*wipe down the chairs, the tables, the shelves, my desk...

*ask about computers for the room (My grade partner has two.)

I left early today. I am still on summer vacation and after the discussion I had with my grade partner about Kindergarten students not being able to play in learning centers, I was spent. 

I am a big proponent of play.

I did a thesis on it when I got my Master's Degree. Play is the cornerstone of my teaching philosophy. 

It's how I design my lessons. It's essential for successful learning among young children.

I knew that Kindergartners were expected to conform to more traditional instruction, but I thought they still had a chance to play in centers. 

Over the years when I took my Pre-K students to visit a Kindergarten class, I saw toys in the rooms.

My daughter's Kindergarten class had a Dramatic Play center and a wall of shelves full of containers filled with puzzles and manipulatives.   

There is a loop hole in all of this. The principal (a 38-year old woman that no one seems to like) doesn't visit the Kindergarten very often, the middle-school students keep her busy, and she's pregnant with her first child. 

With all of this going on, I just might be able to squeeze in a little play time. 

Please comment below on your opinion of play in kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment