Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Story Starter! Use The 5 Senses To Describe

Photo courtesy of: derwiki; courtesy of: Pixabay


I titled this as another Story Starter but after completing the task a more apt name would have been Story Challenge.

It's taken me a few days to write a list of descriptions for each of the 5 senses for the picture. Sometimes I agonize over words which then hinders my productivity.

Many authors describe landscapes so fluidly and with such finesse that I become intimidated. But, I refuse to let that stop me from working on my craft and sharing what I've composed. I know I need to improve in this area so that's what I'm doing.

I'm not overly pleased with every description but at least I did it. To improve my technique, I will continue adding to the lists I created.

Sight:
Lush green hills surmounted by gray mountain tops
Thick clouds marbleized with patches of blue and smoky gray
A river surrounded by hills crowded with trees
A lake enclosed by hills thick with trees
A castle sitting on a hill rising above a small town
The sun is shining down

Sound:
Birds chirping
Water lapping at the shoreline
The scurry of furry feet over grass
Bees buzzing

Smell:
pine
The sweet scents of pine and spruce
A clean wind blew from the south rustling leaves and tufts of grass
Earthy aroma of dirt and grass

Taste:
The smell of pine and spruce was so thick the scent clung to my taste buds caramel candy
I chewed on a piece of grass savoring the bittersweet flavor

Feel:
A lazy wind brushed my face
Branches reached out to tickle my arms and legs
The sun felt warm on my scalp

How are you at describing landscapes? I'd love to read your descriptions.


No comments:

Post a Comment